Bridge Gap Fund
The Bridge Gap Fund (“BGF”) is established with the support of the Funding from HKUST, the Knowledge Transfer Earmarked Grant from the Hong Kong Government as well as other resources. The BGF is introduced by the Office of Knowledge Transfer (OKT).
- BGF is to strengthen the commercialization of HKUST technology for licensing technology to industry, forming technology start-up companies, industry collaboration or application to funding with industry partnership.
- BGF aims to translate HKUST’s research outcomes into viable intellectual property to attract and motivate industry partners to work with HKUST to create commercial and societal impact.
Form of Funding Support
- Each approved project will typically receive funding support of up to HK$ 0.25M for “Seed Project Support Scheme” and up to HK$ 0.5M for “IP Commercialization Scheme”.
- Funding support is to fund eligible activities within the project (refer to Guideline) for up to twelve (12) months (from the project commencement date) with tangible deliverables. Unexpended balance must be returned to HKUST.
- Additional funding of up to $0.1M will be offered to awarded BGF projects for demonstrating sustainability contributions through the Sustainable Smart Campus as a Living Lab (SSC) initiative for use in developing highly visible and interactive educational components for the HKUST community, and measured by clear and measurable contributions to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The award of this funding will be subject to the approval of the SSC Committee following the criteria listed in the SSC website. The SSC Committee shall notify successful candidates under separate cover.
- Projects should demonstrate the commercial potential and the advancement in technology readiness of HKUST research outputs, the prospect of adoption by industry partners, or the establishment of startup.
- Principal Investigator can submit more than one application for different projects.
- Projects that focus on basic research are NOT eligible.
- The projects received or are receiving other funding supports with the same deliverables are NOT eligible.
(a) Seed Project Support Scheme (Up to HK$ 0.25M per project):
- Principal Investigator must be full-time faculty members of HKUST (Clear Water Bay) who have not received any funding support from OKT funding program (including but not limited to PCF, BGF, HBJRI, HKJRI & HCIC) and CSSET funding program.
- Young Faculty including RAP
(b) IP Commercialization Scheme (Up to HK$ 0.5M per project):
- Principal Investigator must be full-time faculty members of HKUST (Clear Water Bay).
- Projects should have clear background Intellectual Properties (IPs) with invention/software/know-how disclosure submitted to OKT.
Additional Funding Support - Sustainable Smart Campus support (up to HK$0.1M per project):
- Projects must be approved by the Seed Project Support Scheme or the IP Commercialization Scheme before being eligible for SSC support.
- Projects should demonstrate their contribution to positive social impact by explaining how the work helps advance one or more of the UN Sustainable Development Goals “Targets and Indicators.”
- In the spirit of using the campus as a “living lab,” eligible projects must either (1) implement their prototype or intervention in a visible location on campus which can be the source of the teaching and learning components, or (2) install a teaching and learning feature in a visible location on campus that directs attention to the project and its educational features.
Selection Mechanism & Criteria
- Project selection criteria include IP strength, commercial potential and impact.
- In considering an application, the BGF Review Committee will evaluate, at a minimum, the following criteria:
- Potential for Commercialization
- Key problem or gap that the proposed technology can solve
- Market opportunities
- Target industry players or startup potential
- Commitment from industry player
- Strength of Background IP (patent / patent application, copyrights, software, know-how, database and etc)
- Technolology and IP development plan
- Level of innovation and viability of deliverables
- Possibility to establish the deliverables
- Project Team
- Demonstration of the capability of research and development
- Adequacy of team to perform the project
- Potential for Commercialization
Project completion date is 30 June 2024. The project cannot be extended, and unexpended balance must be returned to HKUST without any exception. For more details, please refer to the Guideline.
Application Deadline: 17 April 2023
Applicants should complete the Online Research Project Submission Approval (ORPA) Form and BGF Online Application Form in English on or before the application deadline.
- When you fill in the ORPA form for BGF, please follow below instruction.
Agency/ Sponsor: UGC - Knowledge Transfer
Funding Scheme/ Program Name: Bridge Gap Fund
- To retrieve saved draft of BGF application form, please visit https://admms66.ust.hk/index.aspx and click “Drafts” on the menu on the left. The saved draft will be shown.